Mr. Saltarelli’s litigation experience has encompassed a diverse array of commercial matters. Representative matters include the following:
- Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s v. Abbott Laboratories, Inc. (Circuit Court of Cook County): Represented insurers in claim for rescission of product recall insurance and in counterclaim for bad faith and recovery of product recall loss of $110 million.
- Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. v. Executive Risk, et al. (Ind. State Court): Represented insurers in coverage action filed by defendant in HMO litigation. Insured sought recovery of defense costs and settlement of underlying case in excess of $200 million.
- UNR Industries v. Continental Ins. Co. (N.D. Ill.): Represented insurer sued by former asbestos manufacturer for antitrust violations and coverage for asbestos-related bodily injury claims. Claims were successfully defended in nine-week jury trial.
- Bankers Trust Company v. Old Republic Insurance Company (N.D. Ill.): Represented lender which sought determination that insurers were obligated to indemnify insured for a professional liability claim; defense was insured’s misrepresentation in application for insurance.
- Affiliated FM v. Beatrice (N.D. Ill.): Represented insured in an action seeking coverage for a series of property damage claims arising out of a swimming pool coating.
- American Mutual v. Beatrice (N.D. Ill.): Represented insured in an action against seven carriers seeking coverage for a toxic tort case which insured won in federal court in Boston. Claims were also asserted against a third-party administrator for negligence in notifying the insurers.
- Confidential Arbitration: Represented a large property/casualty carrier seeking recovery of $75 million in a post-closing dispute following its acquisition of renewal rights and other assets from another large carrier. Panel issued award following two week hearing.
- Kollek v. Holleb & Coff (N.D. Ill.): Represented law firm in partnership dissolution dispute.
- Venzor v. Don King (N.D. Ill.): Obtained judgment for defendant in contract and RICO action alleging the promotion of a fixed fight.
- Molex v. Chamberlain (Circuit Court of DuPage County): Successfully defended manufacturer before jury in breach of contract action.
Antitrust and Dealer Litigation
- Argo International v. Viking Pump Company, Inc. (N.J.): Successfully represented manufacturer sued by terminated dealer under New Jersey Franchise Practices Act.
- Hill’s Pet, Inc. v. F. Hoffman LaRoche (D.D.C.): Obtained substantial recovery for plaintiff in price-fixing claim against vitamin industry.
- In Re Linerboard Litigation (E.D. Pa.): Represented USG Corporation in linerboard price-fixing case.
- Tax Shelter Claims (Circuit Court of Cook County): In numerous actions by investors, represented former partner of major law firm accused of rendering improper and fraudulent advice regarding a tax and business strategy designed by the partner.
- Keating v. Winston & Strawn (Circuit Court of Cook County): Defended law firm, through bench trial and two appeals, in action by developer who alleged that law firm failed to document his interest in HUD-sponsored development.
- Marlow v. Winston & Strawn (N.D. Ill.): Represented law firm in a legal malpractice action; obtained favorable settlement after first week of jury trial.
- Chicago Board of Education v. AC&S (Circuit Court of Cook County): Represented manufacturer, and served as court-appointed liaison counsel, in action by 34 school boards for property damage allegedly caused by asbestos-containing building products.
- State of Illinois v. United States Gypsum Company (Circuit Court for Sangamon County): Represented manufacturer in action by State of Illinois to recover the costs of abating asbestos-containing building products in all state buildings and universities.
- Delray Pools v. Farboil (State Court): Represented manufacturer in three state court actions for property damage caused by manufacturer’s newly-developed product.
- Wallace Computer Services, Inc. v. David A. Noyes & Co. (N.D. Ill.): Represented plaintiff in a securities action against its former broker.
- Krieger v. Gast (N.D. Ill. and State Court): Represented corporation in action alleging unlawful squeeze-out of minority shareholders.
Real Estate Litigation
- Raskin v. Chrysler Realty Corporation (Wisconsin County Court): Represented seller in action by buyer for breach of contract and fraud based on petroleum contamination from underground tanks. Summary judgment in favor of seller on all claims was affirmed on appeal.
- 1212 N. LaSalle Litigation (Circuit Court of Cook County): Represented mortgagee in foreclosure action resulting from dispute over closing of a federally insured loan for apartment building. Case was settled on eve of trial.
- Campbell v. Chrysler Realty Corporation (Wisconsin County Court): Defended tenant from claims of breach of lease and waste; case was tried to a jury with verdict below anticipated result.
- Anderson v. Chrysler Realty Corporation (Circuit Court of Cook County): Represented tenant in claim by landlord that tenant’s alleged breach of lease terms should result in termination of favorable long-term lease. The matter was successfully tried to a jury.